Hello, Crafty Friends!!
I am back again with another altered/ upcycled project for the Cut'n'boss team! Today I'll be giving a dated thrift store find into a much need face-lift.
Teresa Collins Pocket Dies- Girls Best Friend (Craftwell)
Wooden Spice Rack (Circa 1980's)
Happy Day Stack (DCWV Inc)
Creative Station Lite (Xyron)
Pencil and Eraser
I have a bit of a confession... I love thrift store shopping! I love thinking that most of the treasure I find have a history. And in each piece there's a story. I'm just taking that story a little further.
Here's a a little wooden spice shelf I found on one of my treasure hunts. It was old, dark, and dated. Otherwise in pretty good shape and dying for a makeover.
I started by just simply wiping it down with a soapy wash cloth and cleaning off any dust or dirt that collected onto the surface.
Once dried, I gave it a couple coats of white gesso and left it to dry again.
Once the gesso was dried, I traced the panels of the shelf onto patterned paper from the Happy Day Stack.
Then cut out the shapes, slightly inside my trace lines.
Then I ran my cut out paper panels through my Xyron Creative Station Lite.
I peeled them of the protective film and applied onto the corresponding panels.
Using the two smallest flowers from the Teresa Collin's Girls Best Friend Pocket Die Set, I die-cut 5 medium and 6 small flowers from coordinating cardstock.
I made three complete flowers. The two smallest flowers consisted of three flower die-cuts each. And for the larger flower, I used five flowers.
I separated each into their own stacks. used a scissors to cut about a 1/4" slit between each petal.
Then punched a hole down the centers and secured together with a brad.
And pinched each petal in half and the folded up toward the center.
I repeated this until all the flowers petal were folded, forming a rose.
Then with a hot glue gun, I attached paper leaves and my roses across the arch on top of my shelf.
The hot glued a ribbon tail under the center rose.
Then added two matching bows, one onto each side.
As a final touch, I took an emery board/ nail file and distressed some of the gesso off the edges.
And the result...
A very bright and happy shelf with country cottage charm!!
The perfect storage solution for my art supplies!
I love when I make something pretty that is also functional! And I love how absolutely darling this project turned out!!
I hope you enjoyed today's tutorial!!