Sunday, November 12, 2017

Altered Hoop Art

Hello, Friends!
Today, I'm bringing you this Altered Embroidery Hoop project I created for Little Birdie Crafts!

Supplies Used 
Paper Crafting Medley - Aurora 13pc
4" Embroidery Hoop
6"x6" Orange Tulle
6"x6" Pink Tulle
Mixed Media Glue
Alcohol Markers (I used Spectrum Noir Illustrators)
Spectrum Noir Sparkle Pen (Clear)
Distress Oxide Ink-
Crinkle Ribbon
I love these Papercrafting Medleys from Little Birdie Crafts! These are awesome little kits that come with almost everything you need to make a project. Flowers, leaves, stems... even chipboard embellishments! And all you have to do is assemble onto your choice of media. Today, I chose to alter a mini embroidery hoop but these kits would go beautifully on a card too!

The chipboard pieces are gorgeous and full of detail. They're even beautiful untouched and left plain!
I chose to color this little gorgeous fairy with my alcohol markers. These are chipboard pieces so the ink does tend to absorb into the material.

*Tip*: Applying gesso before coloring will minimalize the this and will make your color more vibrant. For me I kind of like the brownish undertones.

After coloring, I used my sparkle pen to color over the skirt and wings for lots of shimmer and shine.
Once my fairy was all colored I needed a place to perch her. she is in a sitting position and I thought placing her in a hoop would look like she was swinging.

I wanted the hoop to remain open and airy but needed a backing to apply my embellishments. This is where the tulle comes in. I blended two colors of tulle, one on top of the other, to get the right shade to coordinate with my fairy and my flowers.

I cut the tulle, one orange, and one pink, into 2- 6" pieces. Then layered them over each other. I opened the hoop and placed the material over the inner hoop and fastened in place with the outer hoop. I used scissors to trim away the overhanging excess tulle.

With mixed media glue, I attached my leaves in an arch directly onto the hoop.  Then laid down and glued the rose buds and corkscrew stems next. I added the bigger open roses toward the midway point of the arch and tucked the stems randomly in between.

I shaded the edges of my leaves with Walnut Stain Oxide inks and then I glued them under and around the open roses.

I applied mixed media glue behind my chipboard fairy and attached her direct onto the tulle.

Once she was secure, I attached a bow made of crinkle ribbon to the hoop closure.

Now, she is ready to dangle and sway in her floral swing.
And here is my finished project...

I love how she looks like she is kicking out her foot with her other one curved back. It really looks like she's trying to build momentum and swing!

I hope you liked today's project!
See you all next time!

This blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, I always give my honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with each manufacturer, provider, or party in question.

No comments:

Post a Comment