Happy Manic Monday Crafty Peeps!!
Today I have a project that was once considered a coloring "FAIL". Yup, this was a FAIL!! Let me explain...
If you look closely at the first pic below, you will see where my pen had fell out of my hand and left a smudge smack dab in the middle of the card.
My immediate reaction... "AAAAAGGHHHHH"!! What was I gonna do now?? I had been coloring for a while and didn't want all my hard work to go to waste.
In the second pic (top right), I blended out the colors with my water brush. Including the color from the infamous "smudge". It seemed to help. YAY!!
Third pic (lower left), Went over with another layer of color. It's getting better!! Still a little visible... don't give up! It seems to be working!
Third layer... BOOM, ALL GONE!! What smudge??!!
But for an even extra measure of precaution I went ahead and gave it yet another layer!! Yes, FOUR LAYERS OF COLOR!! This Final layer gave the picture an extra POP!! It made the colors so much more vibrant!! (see pics below)
Once I was satisfied with how it my card turned out I told myself I had to make something out of it... It was to pretty to just tuck away after all. I put a lot of sweat and tears into coloring that bad boy!
So, I ran my card through my Xyron Sticker maker, gave it a good burnishing, and adhered it to a this bright piece of patterned cardstock I cut from DCWV's Bright Patterns Cardstock Stack. I used this AWESOME pennant die from Lynda Kanase's Photo Banner die set. It's supposed to hold little instant photos but incidentally makes the perfect background mat for these sized cards (3"x4").
Once the coloring was adhered to the pennant, I ran it through my sticker maker for a second time. Then adhered it to the front of my card base. The card is made from DCWV's Natural Corrugate Stack and is a standard A2 (4.25"x5.5"- when folded) card.
I used more green paper from the Bright Patterns Stack to cut the leaves (also from Lynda Kanase Photo Banner set). This paper is double sided so the solid green that you see in the picture above is actually the same paper as the patterned green that was used for the pennant but just the opposite side.
I also cut a whole lot of orange leaves... yes, leaves (you'll see why), and a small and large brown flower. All these dies are also included in the Photo Banner die set.
Then I used little dabs of liquid adhesive (aka Glossy Accents) to adhere the leaves slightly under my pennant.
Ok, wanted to show you something cool... here is where those leaves come into play. Remember in the main picture there was a rather LARGE orange flower... Go ahead and scroll back up and look, I'll wait. Yeah, that one! Well, this is how I made that flower...
To make that flower I started by first inking all my leaves (I mean "FLOWER PETALS"). I used a total of 21.
Then I used my water brush to make them slight damp. Then curved my leaves, criss crossing the bottom ends of the leaves (I mean flower petals) then heat setting them while still crossed to hold the shape. Each should have a nice curved and STIFF shape.
Then I got the large brown scalloped flower and glued down a "flower petal" to each of the scalloped edges. The first outer row consisted of eight "petals". Then I made another row on the inside of that row, setting them between the petals of the previous row... and so on till you have three rows of flowers.
For the center, I used the smaller scalloped brown flower and completely covered it in Glossy Accents. While it was still wet I covered it in brown seed beads and left it to dry. Once dry I glued it to the center of all the "petals". Then lastly I attached my awesome flower to the corner of my card centering the leaves and attached a cute little wood veneer embellishment and multi-looped twine bow.
And here is my finished project...
I absolutely LOOOOVE how this card turned out!! Especially how I was able to transform my "oopsie" into a "wowza"! Sometimes I really surprise myself. I am in no way , shape, or form a professional colorist. I've never even had coloring lessons and am pretty much self taught everything. So to me, I was really quite shocked that I was able to do such a great cover-up job.
**pats self on back**
Lynda Kanase's Art Journal Coloring Book (Sizzix- May/ June Release)
Lynda Kanase's Photo Banner 9pk Thinlits Dies (Sizzix)
Tim Holtz Distress Markers- ripe persimmon, carved pumpkin, spiced marmalade, wild honey, crushed olive, mowed lawn, tumbled glass, forest moss, vintage photo (Ranger)
Natural Corrugate Stack (DCWV)
Bright Patterns Cardstock Stack (DCWV)
3" Disposable Sticker Maker (Xyron)
Wood Embellishment (Momenta)
Aquash Water Brush (Pentel)
Seed Beads- Brown
Glossy Accents (Ranger)
I hope you all enjoyed this project as much as I did!
I know it's a simple and sweet card, but as you can see it took a lot time and patience to get here.
Thank you for joining me in my little journey to get here!
Hope you all have a great day
Until next time...